- Closures will occur late Friday, June 6 to early Monday, June 9
- Seattle-area closures will cause major delays
- Construction affects I-5, SR 99 and SR 520
Drivers should be aware of three major construction closures occurring this weekend in the Seattle area that are expected to cause major delays on major highways.
The construction closures will affect Interstate 5, State Route 99 and drivers who use State Route 520 to get across Lake Washington.
- The two right lanes of northbound I-5 at the West Seattle freeway will be closed to replace aging expansion joints from 10 p.m. Friday to 5 a.m. Monday.
- On Saturday and Sunday mornings, up to two northbound lanes across the Ship Canal Bridge will be closed for deck patching from 3:30 a.m. to 11 a.m.
- Southbound SR 99 from Denny Way to South Spokane Street will be closed to shift southbound traffic onto a new alignment through the SR 99 tunnel project site from10 p.m. Friday until 5 a.m. Monday.
- Both directions of SR 520 will be closed between Montlake Boulevard and Interstate 405 for ongoing bridge work from 11 p.m. Friday to 5 a.m. Monday.
- The state Department of Transportation says drivers should prepare for major traffic delays, give themselves extra time to reach their destination, and plan their trips around the closures.