Covington house fire caused by discarded cigarette butts

Updated:

COVINGTON, Wash. —

A fire broke out in a Covington home early Sunday morning and it was caused by discarded cigarette butts, said an official with the Kent Fire Department.

 

Firefighters responded to a house fire after 2:30 a.m. in the 17800 block of Southeast 267th Place.

 

When crews from the Kent and Maple Valley fire departments arrived at the scene, flames and smoke were visible at the single-story home.

 

Three adults were inside of the home and escaped safely.

 

The fire was extinguished in about 30 minutes.

 

No one injured in the fire.

 

According to Captain Kyle Ohashi of the Kent Fire Department, the fire was ruled accidental.