• Couple, 3 dogs escape fire in Snohomish County


    SNOHOMISH COUNTY, Wash. - A couple and their three dogs safely escaped after smoke alarms alerted them to a fire in their home in the Meadowdale area of unincorporated Snohomish County Monday night.

     The fire in the 4800 block of 164th Street Southwest was reported by the homeowners at about 11:40 p.m.
    Firefighters said they could see smoke and flames in the attached garage when they arrived.

     Firefighters from Fire District 1 and the Lynnwood Fire Department responded and had the fire under control within about 15 minutes. No one was hurt.

    The Snohomish County Fire Marshal's Office investigated the fire and determined it was started by an overheated electrical cord to a space heater that had been left turned on in the garage to prevent a piece of drywall equipment from freezing overnight.

     Damage to the house and contents is estimated at more than $130,000.

     "This fire could have had a more tragic outcome if it weren't for the smoke alarms that woke the homeowners and gave them time to escape," said Leslie Hynes, public information officer for Snohomish County Fire District 1.

    Next Up: