Chemical reaction causes 3-alarm hazmat response at Lynnwood gym

Updated:

LYNNWOOD, Wash. —

A fire department hazmat team responded to a chemical reaction at a Lynnwood gym.

 

A spokesperson with the Lynnwood Fire Department said the leak at LA Fitness at 19820 Scriber Lake Road caused a 3-alarm hazmat response.

 

A customer of the gym told KIRO 7 Eyewitness News reporter Alexandra Limon that when he showed up to work out at about 5:30 a.m. Monday there were about 30 people at the gym.

 

The customer said a chemical smell was coming from the pool, which was closed.

 

An employee called firefighters and then evacuated the building.

 

Fire officials said a crack in the pump in the mixing room for the gym’s pool caused a chemical reaction.

 

The hazmat team shut down the mixing system and washed down the room.

 

Once they verified the air quality was at normal levels, they turned the club back to the owners.

 

The leak was confined to one room inside the building, but the pool area will stay closed until repairs have been made and reevaluated, fire officials said.

 

No one was hurt.