• Bellevue condo fire caused by teen who left food on stove


    BELLEVUE, Wash. - Investigators say a fire at the Newport Hills Condominiums was likely caused by hot cooking oil left on a stove Thursday night.


    A resident called 911 around 7 p.m. to report heavy smoke coming from a neighbor's condo. When firefighters arrived, they found heavy smoke coming from one of the six units.


    A teenager at home at the time of the fire told firefighters she left cooking oil on the stove unattended.


    Investigators say with no working fire alarms in the home, it was the neighbor's quick call to 911 that saved the fire from being much worse. 


    No other units were damaged in the fire.


    Four residents were displaced -- two adults and two children.


    The damage is estimated at $200,000. No injuries were reported. 


    Bellevue fire investigators say unattended cooking remains the number one cause of residential fires in Bellevue. 

    Next Up: