• Suspect in deadly Bellevue bar shooting arrested


    BELLEVUE, Wash. - A man charged in a fatal Christmas Eve bar shooting has been arrested during a traffic stop in Lakewood, Bellevue police say.


    Police spokeswoman Carla Iafrate said Ja'Mari Alexander Jones was arrested Wednesday night after Lakewood officers ran the license plate of a car that turned out to be stolen.   


    "It's really important -- it's extremely important -- for the public. We've got a suspect that's involved in a shooting, that has a criminal history of violence and he is now off the streets and in jail," Iafrate said.


    Jones, 19, was booked into the King County Jail on a second-degree murder charge with bail set at $5 million. A 20-year-old woman arrested with him was booked for investigation of rendering criminal assistance.    


    A KIRO 7 Eyewitness News crew early Thursday morning spotted a squad car leaving the Bellevue Police Department with two people in the back. A few minutes later, at 2:42 a.m., Jones was booked into jail, along with the woman police call his girlfriend, 20-year-old Maliesha Saleem.  Police later confirmed to reporter Rick Price that Jones and Saleem were in the car.


    Bellevue police said Lakewood officers pulled over Jones at a gas station in the 10800 block of Tacoma Way and determined he was wanted in connection with the Bellevue shooting.  Jones had no identification. He was arrested without incident and had no weapons or drugs on him, police told KIRO 7 Eyewitness News.


    Bellevue police are waiting for a search warrant before searching the vehicle.  They said Saleem's involvement in the shooting, if any, isn't clear but that she was apparently with Jones for days and could face charges of criminal assistance.


    Killed in the shooting at the Munchbar was DeShawn Milliken, 30. Another man was wounded. More than 600 people were at the bar when the shooting occurred.   Police said surveillance video and statements from witnesses helped detectives identify Jones as the gunman. 


    Kemper Development Company and the owners of Munchbar/Mirror Lounge issued a statement Thursday, saying they "have mutually agreed to not reopen the restaurant and lounge."


    "Both parties determined this would be best for the community, guests and the families involved.  Munchbar and Mirror Lounge have been closed since  December 24, 2012," the statement said.


    Jones was one of three teens convicted in the 2008 beating death of a Seattle street musician known as Tuba Man, 53-year-old Ed McMichael. 

    Next Up: