KIRKLAND, Wash. - An explosion Wednesday night at a Kirkland apartment complex is being blamed on malfunctioning equipment used in the legal manufacturing of marijuana.
It happened just after 9 p.m. in the 7000 block of Northeast 142 Street in Kirkland. Two men inside were hospitalized.
Police said the explosion occurred because of a malfunction in a canister used in the pot growing operation.
Kirkland police would not elaborate on how the canister was being used or if flammable gasses were involved.
That apartment and the one below will remain empty until they can be inspected to ensure they are safe to occupy.
Back in August, three people were hurt after a marijuana-related explosion inside an apartment in Mount Vernon. In that incident they were using illegally butane to extract hash oil from marijuana.