by: Web Staff Updated:
1. Two shots were fired. One into the ground and one into the air. The shooting was reported about 7:45 a.m. Monday, April 27.
2. Teacher Brady Olson credited with tackling the shooter. Olson teaches AP government and politics and civics, according to his school biography. He is in his ninth year as a teacher. Olson was not doing interviews, but released this statement. Olson was previously a teacher at Black Hills High in Tumwater and also has worked as a special education teacher.
3. The shot was fired in an upper hallway near the gym. Some students fled out the back door of the gym, running to a nearby Safeway or Lowe’s store.
4. The 16-year-old shooter was seen smoking in a hallway around the time the shot was fired, according to a student’s report. The student’s gun was fully loaded , minus two rounds fired inside the school. The shooter was not immediately identified, but authorities said he was a transfer student from Mount Rainier High School in Des Moines who had been at the school for about a month. After the shooting they also searched the apartment where he lived.
5. Parents were sent an automated phone message that one shot was fired into the air before the shooter was taken down. Students reported hearing two shots. School was dismissed after police did a sweep of the school.
6. Students and staff were gathered on the football field and parents were told to meet them there. Authorities took roll before releasing the students. The address is 600 Sleater Kinney Road NE in Olympia.
7. North Thurston High School is about 60 miles southwest of Seattle in Lacey. The school opened in 1955. Its mascot is a ram. School colors are purple and white. There are about 1,400 students, and Olson is one of roughly 70 teachers.
KIRO 7 reporters Joanna Small and Maria Gurrero are tweeting from the scene. Follow Joanna's Twitter feed here and click this link to follow Maria's tweets. We will have continuing team coverage on KIRO 7 Eyewitness News at Noon and from 5-6:30 p.m. This story will also be updated.
7 quick facts about the North Thurston High School shooting
Report partially blames drivers for gridlock of Mercer Mess
Pregnant woman pulled over, officer gives help instead of a ticket
Former judge admits he unfairly had discounted parking rate for years
Fish & Wildlife: Proposed staff cuts could endanger local seafood eaters