KIRO 7 cares is proud to partner with King County Library Systems and their innovative summer program, Thinkology: The Study of Fun!
Summer readers and learners do better in school. Critical thinking, creativity, and collaboration are important skills that every child needs to do well in school and in life. And they’re acquired not just in the classroom, but at home and through the activities children enjoy during their summer vacations and other breaks.
Many parents struggle to find summer programs and other activities that their kids will enjoy while also building their skills in these areas. As a result, too many children come back to school in the fall having fallen behind (the “summer learning slide”). While they might make the same progress as their peers over the course of the school year, they are starting from a position further back.
KCLS libraries are in a unique position to address this challenge and help close the learning achievement gap that impacts many of our children. As one of the county’s most important year-round learning institutions, KCLS libraries offer a wide range of free programs, services, and resources available to every child.
This summer, these programs, services, and resources will be presented along with KCLS’ annual summer reading program as part of a new learning initiative, Thinkology: The Study of Fun.
Thinkology will build the critical thinking, creativity, and collaboration skills of every child…while they’re having fun! Children of all ages will have the opportunity to engage in both individual and small-group activities across a wide range of subjects, from science, technology, and engineering to math and the arts. And, of course, reading will be a core component of every activity.
Here are just a few of the Thinkology activities available this summer:
- Track reading minutes through this year’s Summer Learning Programs, Fizz Boom Read (for preschoolers and kids up to age 12) and Spark a Reaction (for teens).
- Explore hands-on science experiments in the Kitchen Science Workshop, presented by KidsQuest Children’s Museum, creating chemical reactions using items from the pantry.
- Learn about robots in Robot Garage, presented by the Museum of Flight, and use the Museum’s robotics kits to build an extra-terrestrial rover.
- Build motorized LEGO® construction kits and learn the fundamentals of engineering in We Learn, We Build, We Play, presented by Bricks4Kidz®.
- Discover the secrets of Mathemagic! to amaze friends and family.
- Create movable puppets and experiment with light and shadow in Light Show! Shadow Puppets and Special Effects.
For more information about the programs, services, and activities available through Thinkology: The Study of Fun and the Summer Learning Program, please visit any KCLS library or HERE.